Oakley signs Watson to apparel deal
- By Golf Channel Digital
- Jan 3, 2013 1:10 PM ET
Oakley may reportedly be on the verge of losing one big star, but it hopes its addition of reigning Masters champion Bubba Watson, announced Thursday, will help bolster its performance-apparel family.
“Oakley gets it,” said Watson, who parted ways with Travis Mathew. “I’m proud to join their family because they love the game and they never stop pushing technology to make the game better. Whatever they can do – whatever can be done – Oakley will do it. I respect that.”
Prior to signing Watson, the biggest star in Oakley’s stable was Rory McIlroy, who reportedly has signed a mega-deal with Nike. It didn’t take long for Oakley to trumpet Bubba’s arrival, however. On its website, the company has a centerpiece display with the headline “Viva La Bubba.” The caption read: “Oakley Golf and Bubba Watson. Let the revolution begin.”
Tags: Bubba Watson
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- Karlsson puts yips behind, qualifies for British Open
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae