TaylorMade RocketBallz driver more than just buzz
- By Global Golf Post
- Mar 19, 2012 12:40 PM ET
Keith Sbarbaro, vice president of tour operations at TaylorMade, says the new RocketBallz drivers have “a ton of attitude,” and that is certainly one of the reasons this club line has generated a bunch of buzz this year. But disposition can take a product only so far. Looks and performance are what really count, and TaylorMade technicians say those attributes make the RocketBallz and RocketBallz Tour drivers stand out even more.
With the RocketBallz driver, company engineers looked to enhance distance through the aerodynamics of the white-crowned, titanium club head in an effort to increase swing speed and ultimately distance. To that same end, they decided to employ lightweight shafts and grips in this version for that same reason. The club features a slight draw bias and the company’s Flight Control Technology so that face angle and loft can be easily adjusted, giving golfers the possibility of eight settings. And TaylorMade uses Inverted Cone clubface technology to promote speed and distance on off-center hits. In other words, the RocketBallz is geared to be more forgiving.
As for the Tour version, which also carries a suggested retail price below $300 and is currently being played by Jason Day and Camilo Villegas on the PGA Tour, it boasts the same FCT and Inverted Cone attributes. It also has the white crown and black clubface that has become a trademark of TaylorMade metal woods these days and comes with a Thick-Thin crown design for lower center of gravity, which is designed to promote higher launch and increase distance.
But RocketBallz Tour is made more for skilled players and comes with neutral flight bias and heavier/stiffer shafts for greater stability. In addition, it appears mid-sized at address, with a deeper face, while the RocketBallz has a larger appearance at address with standard face height.
There is a lot to the RocketBallz name, to be sure. But TaylorMade officials say there is even more to the way its plays.
Global Golf Post is the first weekly golf publication designed specifically for digital.
- LIVE STREAM: Crowne Plaza Invitational, Round 2
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Rory, G-Mac MC at BMW | No 3-peat for Donald
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Colonial member Palmer fires 62 | At a glance
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' role
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Haas, Waldorf co-lead Senior PGA Championship
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots