Titleist unveils 913 metals and hybrids
- By Global Golf Post
- Feb 26, 2013 12:46 PM ET
According to Titleist technicians, the 913 fairways are designed to produce more distance from both turf and tee shots largely due to an improved Center of Gravity (CG) location. Part of that, they said, is a result of a thinner crown that allowed them to move the CG lower. And tests show that these new metals impart less spin and greater ball speed than those from the previous generation 910 line.
At the same time, company engineers found a way to lower the shape of the sole profile of the 913 F, giving the SureFit Tour hosel structure a leaner look, all the while ensuring the club remained extremely adjustable, with 16 different settings and the ability for golfers to tweak lie and loft independently.
As for the Titleist 913 F.d, it is designed to promote less spin and a more penetrating ball flight with a flatter trajectory. That version is available only in three lofts, 13.5, 15 and 18 degrees, while the 913 F comes in 13.5, 15, 17, 19 and 21. And the 913 F.d has a slightly larger clubhead than the 913 F, 188 cc in size versus 157 cc.
More distance was also a factor in the development of the 913 hybrids, which come in five lofts – 17, 19, 21, 24 and 27. Here, the clubmaker employed progressive CG locations, with it being positioned toward the back of the lower-lofted clubheads, for greater forgiveness on off-center hits, and closer to the face on higher lofts to keep spin in check.
Titleist also utilized a slight progressive offset through the lofts to promote confidence and proper ground contact. Visually, company engineers softened the toe shape of these hybrids and also gave the adjustable hosel a more tapered look.
This article provided by Global Golf Post. To get more information on a weekly digital subscription, click here.
Global Golf Post is the first weekly golf publication designed specifically for digital.
- Garcia makes racist remark regarding Woods
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Simpson takes to Twitter, calls for bifurcation
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Uihlein's amazing journey | Tour on fans calling in
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Pettersson asks for 'a few days' | Pavin's take
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth