Nike officials say they have long looked to make golfers more comfortable when they play and practice in inclement weather, and better able to perform at those difficult times. They do that through the outerwear they produce and also with accessories such as rain gloves and waterproof bag covers. And with the introduction of the Nike Lunar Bandon, they are taking on footwear in a whole new way.
Named for the grand golf resort on the southern Oregon coast, where players often tee it up in rain and wind, Lunar Bandon is considered by Nike technicians to be the ultimate mudder, because the shoe is made to work in even the wettest conditions.
Start with the fact they have crafted a shoe with a higher silhouette than traditional low-profile footwear designed to keep water from entering over the collar. A booty tongue construction is expected to catch any water that breaches the upper when putting on the shoes. So-called speed lacing with an easy-to-utilize toggle simplifies the fastening process, and a notched-out heel maximizes comfort for walking.
In addition, a bright, asymmetrical zipper across the top of the shoe provides a waterproof shield without adding pressure to the foot. And the upper boasts seam-sealed construction that is designed to keep water out and feet dry. Integrated traction of the outsole is engineered to help eliminate clogging and increase ground contact, to ensure greater stability. And Lunarlon cushioning in the heel is made to make the Bandon as comfortable as it is dry.
“In some climates, if you waited for fair weather days, you wouldn’t have many options to get out and play,” says Lee Walker, product director of Footwear for Nike Golf. “With the Lunar Bandon, golfers have a shoe that allows them to practice and play in any conditions.”
This article provided by Global Golf Post. To get more information on a weekly digital subscription, click here.
As he gets set to make his first U.S. start of 2013, world No. 1 Rory McIlroy appeared in a new ad for equipment manufacturer Nike. Read More
Global Golf Post is the first weekly golf publication designed specifically for digital.
- SCORING: McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play
- Bradley leads by 1 | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- Chella Choi leads; Nordqvist fires 61 | Scores
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- No. 1 Cal (11 wins) headlines 30-team NCAA field
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play