KIAWAH ISLAND, S.C. – Rory McIlroy showed just how fearless he was going to be on this PGA Championship Sunday at Kiawah Island.
He showed up at the first tee wearing a red shirt.
That’s kind of like pulling into Tiger Woods’ parking spot at a PGA Championship. Tiger owns Sunday red. It's his power color and wearing Tiger's Sunday red in the past was akin to tugging on Superman's cape.
McIlroy was asked if he knew the significance of his fashion choice.
“I did,” McIlroy said. “I thought if I was playing with him, I wouldn't wear it. Obviously, him, you know who 'him' is . . . Yeah, it was in the script that Oakley sent me at the start of the week. If I was going to be paired with ‘him’ today, I wasn't going to wear red. I remember what happened to Luke Donald in 2006 at Medinah [in the final round of the PGA Championship]. I wasn't playing with him and thought I would wear it."
McIlroy liked how it worked out.
“Might have to do it from now on," McIlroy said. "No wonder he wins so much."
- LIVE STREAM: Crowne Plaza Invit., Round 1
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Crowne Plaza | Senior PGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia: Remark 'stupid'; apologizes to Woods
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Anchoring attorney: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' cameo
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Back-nine 41 dooms McIlroy's BMW PGA opener
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- U.S. Open champ respectfully disagrees with USGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Instruction: Tips to strike your putts more solidly