Russell named executive editor of Golf Channel
- By Golf Channel Digital
- Mar 5, 2012 4:09 PM ET
ORLANDO, Fla. – Geoff Russell, a 26-year editorial veteran for Golf Digest Publications, has been named senior vice president and executive editor, Golf Channel. The announcement was made Monday by Golf Channel president Mike McCarley.
In this newly created role, Russell will work collaboratively across all on-air and online production and programming groups to shape the editorial direction of Golf Channel. Russell will report directly to McCarley.
For the past decade, Russell held the post of editor-in-chief for Golf World magazine. Under his leadership, Golf World has received 79 industry awards, including 75 writing awards from the Golf Writers Association of America.
“I’m excited to start a new chapter of my career at Golf Channel with another group of very talented golf journalists,” said Russell. “I look forward to becoming an integral part of a new team that will help take the great process that Golf Channel already has established and make it even better.”
Said McCarley: “Geoff is not only one of the best editorial minds in golf but also a strategic thinker and true collaborator who will help us shape the editorial vision and direction of Golf Channel for years to come. He brings to Golf Channel a sterling reputation from his decorated years with our friends at Golf Digest and Golf World, which will serve us well as we continue our recent momentum.”
Russell has been with Golf Digest Publications in various capacities since 1986, joining Golf World in 1989 as the beat writer covering the LPGA and Senior Tour. In 1994, he was promoted to features editor for Golf World, assuming editorial oversight of the news and features departments of the magazine. He assumed the role of editor-in-chief in 2002.
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Manufacturer on anchor ban: 'Golf lost today'
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- Euro captain McGinley adds third Ryder Cup pick
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae