Anatomy of a champion: A look at Steven Fox's swing
- By Brian Lackey, SwingFix instructor
- Aug 24, 2012 12:30 PM ET
Little more than two weeks ago, Steven Fox was a relative unknown in the world of golf.
But when you win the most storied amateur championship in the game, your days of anonymity will quickly go away.
Fox, a native of Hendersonville, Tenn., and a rising senior on the golf team at the University of Tennessee-Chattanooga, wasn’t on anyone’s radar when he arrived at storied Cherry Hills Country Club for the 2012 U.S. Amateur. But he survived a playoff to move into match play and then completed an improbable run to win the title by rallying from two down with two holes to play to beat Michael Weaver in the 36-hole final last Sunday.
Said Fox after his win: “I’m at a loss for words right now. This is unreal.”
One person who knows as much about Fox’s golf game as anyone is PGA professional and SwingFix instructor Brian Lackey, who has worked with Fox on his golf swing for the last seven years.
Lackey, the 2008 Tennessee PGA Teacher of the Year, took some time away from the lesson tee to break down Fox’s swing, and in the video segment above you’ll learn more about what Fox and Lackey work on, what makes Fox’s swing so effective and things you can learn from Fox’s swing that can help you improve your own.
And make no mistake about it, when it comes to playing better golf, learning from elite players is one of the best approaches to utilize.
SwingFix instructor Brian Lackey was selected as the Middle Tennessee PGA Teacher of the Year in 2008 and 2010.
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path