In 1912 three of the most important American golfers, who changed the game, were born three months apart. The three impactful men, Byron Nelson, Sam Snead, and Ben Hogan, will be commemorated in American Triumvirate, an hour long film dedicated to examining their careers and lives, Monday, August 13 at 9PM ET.
American Triumvirate, which is narrated by actor Kurt Russell and will air on Monday to align with what would have been Hogan’s 100th birthday. The documentary use archival footage and interviews with family members, historians, and contemporaries to tell the stories of each golfer. The film will take a look at where these men were born in 1912 and how their coming of age in the 1920s and 1930s shaped their greatness to come.
Find out what it was like when Jack Nicklaus met Byron Nelson for the first time:
Even though Hogan, Nelson, and Snead are the focus it takes great golfers to illustrate just how important the three are to golf. American Triumvirate will feature interviews from golf’s modern greats, including Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Johnny Miller, Ken Venturi, and Lee Trevino. They will talk about just how important the three born in 1912 were to influencing the sport and themselves as individuals.
While the men are known for their incredible golf skills and amazing careers, few know how they saved the game of golf in America and ushered in a new era of the sport. With a combined 198 PGA TOUR victories and 21 major titles, it was their dedication to golf and inspiration to everyone that followed in their footsteps that cements their legacy.
Make sure to tune in to Golf Channel Monday, August 13 at 9PM ET to watch American Triumvirate and be transported back to the early days of professional golf and the growing greatness of Byron Nelson, Sam Snead, and Ben Hogan.
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path