The Shell Houston Open is the last chance players have to qualify to play in one of the most iconic and coveted events of the season the Masters. But there was a dark cloud looming over several players’ chance to qualify on Thursday. Play was suspended half-way through the first round due to a thunderstorm that dropped more than an inch of rain. As play resumed early Friday morning defending champion Phil Mickelson wasted no time driving into the lead. Will Mickelson have a repeat win at the Shell Houston Open or will Ernie Els get the victory he needs to qualify for the Masters?
While play resumed early Friday morning, tournament officials hope the rain stays away so the players can finish the final round on Sunday by 5PM ET in order to give them enough time to fly to Augusta and prepare for the Masters.
Catch all the action from the Shell Houston Open today on Golf Channel.
Friday, March 30: LIVE 3 & 9:30PM ET
Saturday, March 31: LIVE 12:30 & 9:30PM ET
Sunday, April 1: LIVE 12:30 & 9:30PM ET
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- McDowell rises to No. 7 in OWGR; Bae 64th
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Uihlein gets first pro win at Madeira | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play