At an event on Monday at Medinah in Chicago to mark the one-year run up to the 2012 Ryder Cup matches U.S. captain Davis Love III was asked his thoughts on Tuesday’s impending pick of Tiger Woods for this year’s Presidents Cup.
“You certainly want one of the best players, ever, in the game, you want him on your team,” Love said. “I'm hoping, as a friend, for Tiger's sake, that he has a full, healthy season next year and we are not in this situation; that he's back to his form, and he's ready to go.”
Translation: don’t make me burn a pick.
Ultimately, however, Love said he would have picked Woods for this year’s matches at Royal Melbourne with one caveat: “I would probably have to go with exactly what Fred did. Maybe not pick early, because (the PGA of America) would get mad at me.”
- Video: Rose on 'Dan Patrick Show' | Travelers
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Rose on NBC's 'Today' | Used 'force' at Merion
- Nine-year-old shoots 58 in junior tournament
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers coach Foley a true friend
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Woods' major futility | Stuck on 14 | Tracker
- Others race to try Rose's putter | What's in the bag?
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path