SUGAR GROVE, Ill. –The galleries are large again Saturday for the Solheim Cup at Rich Harvest Farms, but the nature of the course's topography and the sprawling layout make it seem more muted than most of these team events.
The sounds just don't carry well, and they have a long way to carry with the course spread far and wide. In some ways, it is the acoustic opposite of the Masters. Augusta National is built in a valley, where sounds reverberate wondrously among the trees in a giant bowl. Rich Harvest Farms feels like it is built on a crest, where noise dissipates.
Still, there are spirited galleries. With Americans Cristie Kerr and Nicole Castrale dueling in a tight match with Suzann Pettersen and Anna Nordqvist, a half dozen fans were perched on tree limbs to get better views at the ninth hole.
- LIVE STREAM: Senior PGA Championship, Round 1
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Crowne Plaza | Senior PGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia: Remark 'stupid'; apologizes to Woods
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Anchoring attorney: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' cameo
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Back-nine 41 dooms McIlroy's BMW PGA opener
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- U.S. Open champ respectfully disagrees with USGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Instruction: Tips to strike your putts more solidly