AUGUSTA, Ga. – The 76th Masters Tournament began Thursday morning with honorary starters Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer and – for the first time – Gary Player each hitting their ceremonial tee shots into the first fairway at Augusta National Golf Club.
A combined 13 Masters titles between the trio, they teed off promptly at 7:40 a.m. ET, with Player outdriving his fellow legendary peers.
Another three-time Masters champion was on the first tee, as well. Phil Mickelson – more than six hours before his 1:53 p.m. ET tee time – was on hand to witness the scene.
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose: Letterman Top 10 | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Rose highlights major champ group | Tee times
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Nine-year-old shoots 58 in junior tournament
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers coach Foley a true friend
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path