Bubble battle: Nos. 124, 125 grouped at Disney
- By Randall Mell
- Oct 18, 2011 1:50 PM ET
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – The bubble boys in the race to make the top 125 on the PGA Tour money list gained an extra measure of scrutiny this week thanks to the pairings in the first two rounds of the season-ending Children’s Miracle Network Classic.
James Driscoll, No. 125 on the money list, will be paired with Bobby Gates, who’s No. 124. They’ll go off first together Thursday at 7:50 a.m. ET on the Palm Course at Disney World and will be off together again at 11:50 a.m. Friday on the Magnolia Course. The Tour arranged the pairings to heighten interest in the story.
“The Tour loves to do stuff like that,” Gates said. “I think they have twisted irony. Hopefully we both play well and feed off each other.”
The top 125 on the money list at week’s end secure exempt status on the PGA Tour next year.
When the CIMB Classic becomes the first-ever FedEx Cup event in Asia this fall, it will do so from a new venue and with one of the game's biggest stars highlighting its field. Read More
- Video: Rose on 'Dan Patrick Show' | Travelers
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Rose on NBC's 'Today' | Used 'force' at Merion
- Nine-year-old shoots 58 in junior tournament
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers coach Foley a true friend
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Woods' major futility | Stuck on 14 | Tracker
- Others race to try Rose's putter | What's in the bag?
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path