Bubble battle: Nos. 124, 125 grouped at Disney
- By Randall Mell
- Oct 18, 2011 1:50 PM ET
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – The bubble boys in the race to make the top 125 on the PGA Tour money list gained an extra measure of scrutiny this week thanks to the pairings in the first two rounds of the season-ending Children’s Miracle Network Classic.
James Driscoll, No. 125 on the money list, will be paired with Bobby Gates, who’s No. 124. They’ll go off first together Thursday at 7:50 a.m. ET on the Palm Course at Disney World and will be off together again at 11:50 a.m. Friday on the Magnolia Course. The Tour arranged the pairings to heighten interest in the story.
“The Tour loves to do stuff like that,” Gates said. “I think they have twisted irony. Hopefully we both play well and feed off each other.”
The top 125 on the money list at week’s end secure exempt status on the PGA Tour next year.
James Walton’s tee shot at the par-3 17th stopped 4 ½ feet away from the hole on Wednesday to win the annual closet-to-the-pin caddie competition at TPC Sawgrass. Read More
- SCORING: McDowell, Jaidee in Match Play final
- Bradley leads by 1 | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- Chella Choi leads; Nordqvist fires 61 | Scores
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process