Cabrera makes 9 at the 17th, WDs from Players
- By Ryan Ballengee
- May 10, 2012 6:43 PM ET
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. – The man called "El Pato" (the duck) sent his golf ball swimming three times at the par-3 17th on Thursday.
Angel Cabrera made a nine on the island-green par 3 in the opening round of The Players Championship en route to 6-over 78 on Thursday. After the round, Cabrera withdrew from the tournament, citing personal reasons.
Cabrera had the highest score of the day on a single hole, but was three shy of the all-time high score at the 17th. Bob Tway had a 12 there in gusty conditions in the third round in 2005.
Two other players tied the mark for highest score on a hole at the Stadium Course. Sung Kang opened with a quintuple-bogey 9 at the first hole, tying the mark set by Miguel Angel Jimenez in the second round in 2002. Jerry Kelly also took an eight, but on the par-4 fourth hole. His score matched John Daly's score there from the final round in 1992.
Kang got back to even before closing with a double bogey and bogey to shoot 75. Kelly shot 82.
- LIVE STREAM: Senior PGA Championship, Round 1
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Crowne Plaza | Senior PGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia: Remark 'stupid'; apologizes to Woods
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Anchoring attorney: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Back-nine 41 dooms McIlroy's BMW PGA opener
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- U.S. Open champ respectfully disagrees with USGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Instruction: Tips to strike your putts more solidly