The Northern Trust Open is one of the oldest events played on the PGA Tour. Players have gathered annually in the Hollywood spotlight since 1926 when Harry Cooper won the inaugural Los Angeles Open at L.A. Country Club.
From 1942-1948 Ben Hogan won the tournament three times, twice at Riviera Country Club, also referred to as Hogan’s Alley. But for the last three decades Fred Couples has been a staple at Riviera. Since winning the tournament in 1990, Couples has teed it up 20 times with ten other top-10s, including a second victory in 1992.The 51-year-old is again in contention and looking for his third Riviera title like the Hawk, despite some lingering back pain that has him scheduled for an MRI on Monday. Couples followed his opening round 68 with a flawless 66 today. Boom Boom is inside the top-10 in driving distance this week averaging 300 yards off the tee. This is Freddy’s 29th start at Riviera and only Gene Littler, with 30, has made more.
- LIVE STREAM: Crowne Plaza Invit., Round 1
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Crowne Plaza | Senior PGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia: Remark 'stupid'; apologizes to Woods
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Anchoring attorney: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' cameo
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Back-nine 41 dooms McIlroy's BMW PGA opener
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- U.S. Open champ respectfully disagrees with USGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Instruction: Tips to strike your putts more solidly