CHASKA, Minn. – Fred Couples isn’t just scouting for Presidents Cup captain’s picks as part of his duties as the American skipper this week at the PGA Championship.
He’s trying to make the cut.
Couples isn’t going to pick himself as a playing captain, but he’s serious about a strong finish to his season and is looking forward to the start of the FedEx Cup Playoffs in two weeks.
“I’m in the first one [The Barclays], and I've never made the cut in the FedEx Cup, and I don’t want it to go down in my career that I never made a cut in the FedEx Cup,” Couples cracked after shooting 74 in the first round of the PGA Championship, which was good for a tie for 69th. The low 70 and ties will make the cut. Couples goes off at 1:55 p.m. local time in the second round.
Couples, 49, missed the cut at The Barclays and the Deutsche Bank Championship last year in his only FedEx Cup starts.
How does Couples like being Presidents Cup captain?
“There are more things to do and a little more stress, and I’m not used to stress at all,” he said playfully.
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Crowne Plaza | Senior PGA
- Garcia: Remark 'stupid'; apologizes to Woods
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Colonial reax: Garcia remark | Singh, anchor
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- U.S. Open champ respectfully disagrees with USGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Chapman set to defend at Senior PGA | Tee times
- Fowler plans to donate $100K to tornado relief
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management