Webb Simpson held onto the lead at The Greenbrier Classic through three rounds. Simpson shot his second 5-under 65 of the week at the Old White TPC on Saturday to lead by two shots at 14 under par over Troy Kelly.
The U.S. Open champion will not compete in the British Open in two weeks to be with wife, Dowd, for the birth of the couple's second child. If he wins on Sunday, he would be the first of the last four major champions to win since their triumph.
Kelly shot a bogey-free third round of 8-under 62 to jump from a tie for 23rd into the final group on Sunday.
Three players are tied for third at 11 under, including Ken Duke, J.B. Holmes and rookie Charlie Beljan. Ted Potter shot 64 to trail by three shots at 10 under.
Tags: The Greenbrier Classic
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Statements: PGA Tour, PGAA | LPGA | USGA
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- Guan WDs from Open qualifying | Playing Memorial
- Euro captain McGinley adds third Ryder Cup pick
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth