Donaldson overtakes Rose to win in Abu Dhabi
- By Golf Channel Digital
- Jan 20, 2013 8:42 AM ET
Justin Rose, ranked No. 5 in the world, had hoped to make a statement for 2013 with a victory in the Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship. Instead, it was Welshman Jamie Donaldson who wound up hoisting the trophy.
Donaldson survived final-hole birdie bids by Rose and Dane Thorbjorn Olesen for a one-stroke victory.
Donaldson, ranked No. 47th, made five birdies and a final-hole bogey in shooting a 4-under 68 to finish at 14-under 274. Rose, who held a two-shot lead going into the final round, closed with a 71. Oleson shot a final-round 69.
Rose made four birdies but also had three bogeys. He had a 12-foot birdie putt to force a playoff, but the ball lipped out and he tossed his putter in the air in frustration.
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- Kuchar leads suspended Crowne | Glance | Scores
- Molinari leads BMW | Rory, McDowell MC | Scores
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- USC women sweep team, individual titles at NCAAs
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Sr. PGA lead | Scores
- Bowie Young leads LPGA in Bahamas | Scores
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots