Donaldson overtakes Rose to win in Abu Dhabi
- By Golf Channel Digital
- Jan 20, 2013 8:42 AM ET
Justin Rose, ranked No. 5 in the world, had hoped to make a statement for 2013 with a victory in the Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship. Instead, it was Welshman Jamie Donaldson who wound up hoisting the trophy.
Donaldson survived final-hole birdie bids by Rose and Dane Thorbjorn Olesen for a one-stroke victory.
Donaldson, ranked No. 47th, made five birdies and a final-hole bogey in shooting a 4-under 68 to finish at 14-under 274. Rose, who held a two-shot lead going into the final round, closed with a 71. Oleson shot a final-round 69.
Rose made four birdies but also had three bogeys. He had a 12-foot birdie putt to force a playoff, but the ball lipped out and he tossed his putter in the air in frustration.
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path