Euro Tour's event at Gleneagles canceled for '14
- By Ryan Lavner
- Dec 20, 2012 8:55 AM ET
American players hoping for a Ryder Cup preview likely won’t have the opportunity.
European Tour officials said Thursday that the Johnnie Walker Championship at Gleneagles will not appear on the schedule in 2014 so that preparations for the Ryder Cup can begin in July.
The 2013 event will still proceed as planned, on Aug. 22-25. That event, however, coincides with the first FedEx Cup playoff event, which likely would prevent players from traveling overseas and getting a look at the upcoming Ryder Cup venue.
Said Ryder Cup director Richard Hills in a statement, “The magnitude of the Ryder Cup is such that trying to host the Johnnie Walker Championship in the same season would have compromised both events.”
Nicolas Colsaerts sits three shots behind the leaders at the halfway mark in his bid to secure a Ryder Cup spot. Read More
Nicolas Colsaerts shot a 3-under 69 on Thursday in the Johnnie Walker Championship, leaving the Ryder Cup hopeful two shots behind the first-round leaders in the final event in the points races for th... Read More
Defending champion Thomas Bjorn goes into the Johnnie Walker Championship at Gleneagles on Thursday with one eye on the Ryder Cup Read More
- Garcia apologizes to Woods | Tee times
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Z. Johnson back at Colonial | Groupings | Tee times
- Colonial reax: Garcia remark | Singh, anchor
- Fantasy: BMW PGA, Crowne Plaza power rankings
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Chapman set to defend at Senior PGA | Tee times
- Fowler plans to donate $100K to tornado relief
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management