Golf unexpectedly lost one of its best Sunday. Norman Swenson passed away on a flight from Korea. He was returning from representing the U.S. and Pine Valley Golf Club at the World Club Championships.
Swenson grew up in North Carolina and was a member of the Wake Forest golf team that included Lanny Wadkins, Leonard Thompson, Joe Inman, Jack Lewis and Jim Simons. His business was portrait photography but his heart was with his family and golf. Swenson was very active with the Society of Seniors amateur golf organization and had put together a successful senior amateur career.
Family members include wife Shelley, three children -- Ashley, Norman, Perry and two grandchildren. I co-hosted “Road Trip Myrtle Beach” on Golf Channel with Perry Swenson. Perry played college golf at Texas. It’s evident that her love of the game was instilled in her by her father and that love of golf will always run deep in the Swenson family.
Family visitation is May 27 at 7 p.m. ET and the funeral service is set for May 28 at 2 p.m. ET. Both will be at Calvary Church in Charlotte, N.C. I offer my heartfelt condolences to the Swenson family.
- Video: Rose on 'Dan Patrick Show' | Travelers
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Rose on NBC's 'Today' | Used 'force' at Merion
- Nine-year-old shoots 58 in junior tournament
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers coach Foley a true friend
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Woods' major futility | Stuck on 14 | Tracker
- Others race to try Rose's putter | What's in the bag?
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path