Golf unexpectedly lost one of its best Sunday. Norman Swenson passed away on a flight from Korea. He was returning from representing the U.S. and Pine Valley Golf Club at the World Club Championships.
Swenson grew up in North Carolina and was a member of the Wake Forest golf team that included Lanny Wadkins, Leonard Thompson, Joe Inman, Jack Lewis and Jim Simons. His business was portrait photography but his heart was with his family and golf. Swenson was very active with the Society of Seniors amateur golf organization and had put together a successful senior amateur career.
Family members include wife Shelley, three children -- Ashley, Norman, Perry and two grandchildren. I co-hosted “Road Trip Myrtle Beach” on Golf Channel with Perry Swenson. Perry played college golf at Texas. It’s evident that her love of the game was instilled in her by her father and that love of golf will always run deep in the Swenson family.
Family visitation is May 27 at 7 p.m. ET and the funeral service is set for May 28 at 2 p.m. ET. Both will be at Calvary Church in Charlotte, N.C. I offer my heartfelt condolences to the Swenson family.
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path