Featured pairings for the Wyndham Championship
- By Ryan Lavner
- Aug 14, 2012 2:59 PM ET
There’s plenty of intrigue heading into the Wyndham Championship: Who will play their way into the season-ending FedEx Cup playoffs? Who will make a last-ditch effort to draw the attention of U.S. Ryder Cup captain Davis Love III?
Here are a few groups to keep an eye on this week in Greensboro, N.C.:
All three players have won this event in the past, including defending champion Simpson. Pettersson played well at the PGA, holding the lead after two rounds, and is now ninth in the FedEx Cup points race. Love has won the Greensboro event twice, though he may be preoccupied this time around – the captain is also keeping an eye on prospective captain’s picks for the Ryder Cup.
Bubble boys, all of them. All three players are outside the top 125 in FedEx Cup points – Yang is 129th, Woodland 130th, Daly 137th – and they need a good week to reach next week’s playoff-opener at Bethpage Black. Long John is particularly intriguing, given his good form the past two weeks.
Still another group on the bubble. (Yep, it’s that time of year.) Vegas (124th in points) and Steele (126th) each won last year after graduating from the Web.com Tour, but they’ve endured disappointing sophomore campaigns. Slocum is 128th in points.
Dufner already has locked up a Ryder Cup spot, while Haas and Snedeker are among the players under consideration for one of Love’s four captain’s picks. Each boasts strong resumes – Haas, for instance, won the 2011 FedEx Cup – but likely need eye-opening performances to earn a spot.
It’s surprising that none of these elite players have picked up a win in 2012. Watney has five top 25s in his past six starts; Schwartzel has only a pair of top-10 finishes this season; and Garcia has a T-13 and 4th in his only two appearances at the Wyndham.
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose: Letterman Top 10 | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Rose highlights major champ group | Tee times
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Nine-year-old shoots 58 in junior tournament
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers coach Foley a true friend
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path