Numbers game: Good, bad and really hard at Lytham
- By Jay Coffin
- Jul 23, 2012 11:00 AM ET
LYTHAM, ST. ANNES, England – Overall scoring average for the week at Royal Lytham & St. Annes was a whopping 71.983, nearly two full shots over par. The front nine actually played more difficult in relation to par at 35.22 strokes on the par 34 stretch. The last nine holes played to 36.764 average on the side that was a par 36.
Here are some other course statistics as we put a bow on the Open Championship:
• The par-4 sixth hole played the most difficult of the week with a 4.477 average. It only yielded 15 birdies all week, compared with 180 bogeys and 24 double bogeys. It also collected five “others,” the most infamous being Tiger Woods’ triple-bogey 7 in the final round.
• The short, 336-yard par-4 16th hole was the easiest hole of the week at 3.845 strokes. It gave up 124 birdies and 47 bogeys, one of them coming from Adam Scott in midst of his final-round collapse.
• Many of the players weren’t fond of the 205-yard, par-3 opening hole, saying they didn’t like to have an iron in their hands for the first shot of the day. But it was the 13th-easiest hole on the course for the week.
• The first, fifth, 12th and 14th holes are the only four holes that did not produce a score worse than double bogey. Nos. 1, 5 and 12 are par 3s. The 14th is a par 4.
• For the week, there were 674 birdies, 5,451 pars, 1,628 bogeys, 231 double bogeys and 41 others.
Tags: British Open
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Johnson edges Korda, Phatlum in Mobile | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play