Finch, Foster lead at Gleneagles; Colsaerts 3 back
- By Will Gray
- Aug 24, 2012 4:00 PM ET
Among those chasing the leaders is Nicolas Colsaerts, currently T-7 in his bid to make the European Ryder Cup team for the first time.
Colsaerts fired a 2-under 70 on Friday and is three shots behind the leaders heading into the weekend. The Belgian will need a top-two finish this week at Gleneagles to qualify automatically for next month's matches.
Despite a second-round 69, European Ryder Cup captain Jose Maria Olazabal missed the cut by three strokes and will now have ample opportunity to size up Colsaerts this weekend for a potential captain's pick. The Spaniard will have two selections with which to fill out his team after the top 10 automatic qualifiers are finalized this week.
Several golfers are tied at -4, four shots behind Foster and Finch, including former Ryder Cup captain Colin Montgomerie and Francesco Molinari, who will be making his second Ryder Cup appearance at Medinah.
The round of the day on Friday belonged to Frenchman Gregory Bourdy, who is now T-5 and two shots behind the leaders after shooting a second-round 66 that included eight birdies.
Nicolas Colsaerts shot a 3-under 69 on Thursday in the Johnnie Walker Championship, leaving the Ryder Cup hopeful two shots behind the first-round leaders in the final event in the points races for th... Read More
- Bradley leads by 1 | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- Chella Choi leads; Nordqvist fires 61 | Scores
- G-Mac bests Colsaerts in Volvo quarters | Results
- You Oughta Know: HP Byron Nelson Championship
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process