Finch, Foster lead at Gleneagles; Colsaerts 3 back
- By Will Gray
- Aug 24, 2012 4:00 PM ET
Among those chasing the leaders is Nicolas Colsaerts, currently T-7 in his bid to make the European Ryder Cup team for the first time.
Colsaerts fired a 2-under 70 on Friday and is three shots behind the leaders heading into the weekend. The Belgian will need a top-two finish this week at Gleneagles to qualify automatically for next month's matches.
Despite a second-round 69, European Ryder Cup captain Jose Maria Olazabal missed the cut by three strokes and will now have ample opportunity to size up Colsaerts this weekend for a potential captain's pick. The Spaniard will have two selections with which to fill out his team after the top 10 automatic qualifiers are finalized this week.
Several golfers are tied at -4, four shots behind Foster and Finch, including former Ryder Cup captain Colin Montgomerie and Francesco Molinari, who will be making his second Ryder Cup appearance at Medinah.
The round of the day on Friday belonged to Frenchman Gregory Bourdy, who is now T-5 and two shots behind the leaders after shooting a second-round 66 that included eight birdies.
Nicolas Colsaerts shot a 3-under 69 on Thursday in the Johnnie Walker Championship, leaving the Ryder Cup hopeful two shots behind the first-round leaders in the final event in the points races for th... Read More
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Statements: PGA Tour, PGAA | LPGA | USGA
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- Guan WDs from Open qualifying | Playing Memorial
- Euro captain McGinley adds third Ryder Cup pick
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth