Furyk goes on birdie flurry on Day 2 at East Lake
- By Rex Hoggard
- Sep 21, 2012 2:40 PM ET
ATLANTA – Jim Furyk, considered by some the wildcard of U.S. Ryder Cup captain Davis Love III’s picks earlier this month, is making a statement the captain must appreciate at East Lake with seven consecutive 3's to begin his day at the Tour Championship.
Furyk, who won the Tour Championship and FedEx Cup in 2010, was 5 under through seven holes with birdies at Nos. 1, 3, 4, 5 and 7 and alone atop the leaderboard, vaulting up 11 spots after an opening 69.
Furyk broke the string with a 4 on the eighth hole, but made birdie on the par-5 ninth hole and turned in 29. Furyk’s best nine holes on Tour this year was a 31.
- Video: Rose on 'Dan Patrick Show' | Travelers
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Rose on NBC's 'Today' | Used 'force' at Merion
- Nine-year-old shoots 58 in junior tournament
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers coach Foley a true friend
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Woods' major futility | Stuck on 14 | Tracker
- Others race to try Rose's putter | What's in the bag?
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path