Sergio Garcia’s second-round 63 at the Wyndham Championship could be the boost the Spaniard needed to lift him onto the European Ryder Cup team with two weeks left to qualify, although captain Jose Maria Olazabal seems certain to make El Nino a pick either way.
Just don’t expect another no-look shot from behind the famous oak adjacent Medinah’s 16th hole at September’s matches. At the 1999 PGA on the No. 3 Course Garcia gouged a 6-iron from behind the tree and famously bounded up the fairway in his duel with Tiger Woods.
Woods won the event, Garcia won over many new fans but the tree did not survive. It was cut down a few years ago, one Medinah member told GTC.
Tags: Sergio Garcia
- Kuchar leads suspended Crowne | Glance | Scores
- Molinari leads BMW | Rory, McDowell MC | Scores
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- USC women sweep team, individual titles at NCAAs
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Sr. PGA lead | Scores
- Bowie Young leads LPGA in Bahamas | Scores
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots