Garcia the new McAvoy? Four balls in water on No. 3
- By Rex Hoggard
- Mar 11, 2012 2:03 PM ET
DORAL, Fla. – Sergio Garcia got off to a solid start with an eagle at the first hole early Sunday but everything unraveled at the par-4 third when the Spaniard hit four golf balls into the water and signed for an octuple bogey-12.
Garcia rebounded with birdies at Nos. 7, 9, 12, 13 and 16, but a double bogey dropped him to 4 over for the day and 5 over for the event.
“I don’t have the energy today, sorry guys,” Garcia told a group of reporters following his round.
Garcia took an 11 on the par-5 third hole in Round 1 last year at the FedEx St. Jude Classic. On Thursday he was 5 under through nine holes but ballooned to a back-nine 44 for an opening 75.
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller expects Garcia controversy to 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Palmer fires 62, grabs early Colonial lead | Scores
- Stars stumble in BMW PGA | 41 by Rory | Scores
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' cameo
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Anchor lawyer: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- LPGA Bahamas going 12 holes in Rd. 1 | Tee times
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots