With rounds of 66-66, Garrigus finds himself in contention at a tournament he’s been attending since long before he became a professional golfer.
The first time he came to TPC-Scottsdale, he was 21, working the range during tournament week.
“I got to talk to all the guys,” Garrigus said. “I’ve got a ton of stories. Hal Sutton let me hit a driver and I outdrove him; Fuzzy Zoeller let me swing it a couple times; and I was driving the cart when Dudley Hart got hit in the wrist by Larry Mize. Just stuff like that you remember for the rest of your life, and this is kind of where it started.”
Garrigus also was on hand for what is perhaps the tournament’s most memorable moment: Tiger Woods’ hole-in-one at No. 16 in 1997.
“I was actually standing two people behind the ropes when Tiger hooped it, and we were actually chanting for Omar Uresti because he hit it to 4 feet or whatever it was, and we were screaming "O-mar, O-mar," and then Tiger makes it,” he said. “I might have been the first guy to throw a beer, I don't know. But it started raining, big time, and everybody in the Thunderbirds was like, no, no, and they're getting pelted with beers. It was unbelievable. I told Tiger about that. He's like, ‘Oh, you were there for that, huh?’ I'm like, yeah, the freaking windows in the clubhouse were shaking. They could feel the roar from the clubhouse.
“If I didn't want to be a professional golfer right there, I wasn't going to be one. That was pretty cool. And I got to see it. I watched the whole shot and I watched it go in and I had the perfect angle. I was even in the GQ shot after he made it; you could see me in my sunglasses in the back, in the shot. It was so perfect. It was a perfect shot, high 9-iron, boom, right in the joint. It was perfect.”
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Crowne Plaza
- Statements: PGA Tour, PGAA | LPGA | USGA
- Pettersson asks for 'a few days' | Pavin's take
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Guan WDs from Open qualifying | Playing Memorial
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth