So after 2 ½ years at Golfweek, this is my new home. Here, my desk is a bit larger, the iPhone slightly newer and the security card … well, let’s just say I now must show ID before entering the newsroom.
Sure, the font used here on GolfChannel.com is different, but the words typed largely will remain the same. If Tiger Woods resumes his ascent up Mount Nicklaus, you’ll find it here. If the new PGA Tour Q-School becomes an unmitigated disaster, you’ll find it here. If a bevy of top-10 college players bolt early for the pro ranks, you’ll find it here. If 14-year-old Andy Zhang morphs into the next junior world-beater, you’ll find it here, too. Hopefully there is something for everyone.
As a writer for Golfweek, I was there when Bubba, Keegan and Webb won their first majors, when Texas clipped Alabama at an epic NCAA Championship, when Jordan Spieth captured his second U.S. Junior title. I tagged along with an emotional Jarrod Lyle when he visited the St. Jude Children’s Hospital in Memphis. I dodged a tornado while on my way to see top prospect Cody Proveaux in the backwoods of South Carolina. I survived a six-day, golf-and-food bender for a travel story on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. This journey will prove no less adventurous. Life as a sportswriter has its perks, I guess.
When writing for this space I hope to inform and entertain -- the way the best in our biz do -- as this grand game continues to evolve.
So, light up the comments section below. Tweet at me (@RyanLavnerGC). Send me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Because golf is best enjoyed with others, no?
- Garcia apologizes to Woods; comment 'stupid'
- Tiger: Sergio remark 'hurtful, inappropriate'
- Garcia makes 'fried chicken' Tiger remark
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Z. Johnson, Dufner reunited at Colonial | Tee times
- Simpson takes to Twitter, calls for bifurcation
- Clark on ban: 'Not going to roll over and accept this'
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Video: Woods talks Garcia feud | Won't clear air
- Peterson to donate to Okla. tornado victims
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth