Haney believes Tiger's short game to blame
- By Ryan Ballengee
- May 16, 2012 2:58 PM ET
Tiger Woods' former coach, Hank Haney, believes his former pupil is struggling with consistency.
“It looks like he’s having a great spurt when he hits the ball good at times, and then he struggles at times," Haney said, according to mlive.com. "It just shows you how hard the game is, and just how great he was."
Woods is a winner this year at the Arnold Palmer Invitational, winning at Bay Hill for the seventh time, but has also just completed the worst three-tournament stretch of his professional career. He finished T-40 at the Masters and Players Championship, while he missed the cut at Quail Hollow, just the eighth missed cut in his pro career.
Haney maintains Woods will continue to win golf tournaments, but criticized holes in Woods' game. The Texas-based coach is particularly critical of Woods' short game.
"His putting isn’t as good as it used to be, and it’s been that way for a while now," Haney said.
Woods was in the top 10 in strokes gained putting in the six years Haney worked with Woods, save for 2006. Woods was 109th in 2010 and 45th last year, but is 19th so far this season.
“He’s not as good with wedges," Haney said. "From 50 to 125 yards, he’s I think ranked 150 on the Tour or somewhere in that range."
Woods is ranked 164th on Tour in proximity to the hole from that range. In 2010, he was 27th - his worst under Haney. In three seasons with Haney, Woods was first that category.
Haney did laud Woods' improved "driving instincts" but claims Woods is more inconsistent in how he misses off the tee.
"He has a miss that goes both ways," he said. "When I helped him, most of his misses went to the right, now they’re going right and left, it’s about 50/50. It was about 75 or 80 percent to the right when I helped.”
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path