PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. – Midway through Thursday’s opening round, it looked like Peter Hanson was heading for an early exit from this week’s Honda Classic. After successfully battling windy conditions Saturday, though, the Swede now finds himself in contention heading into the final round.
“This golf course is tough. When it’s blowing like this, it’s easy to shoot some high numbers,” said Hanson, who carded a 2-under 68 in the third round and at 4 under, held a share of the clubhouse lead when his round concluded.
Following a triple bogey at the par-3 seventh hole Thursday, Hanson’s name was far from any leaderboards. The miscue dropped him to 4 over after just seven holes, but the Swede has played the subsequent 47 holes in 8 under.
“Yeah, that was not ideal,” he said of the rough start to his opening round. “But I made a couple good par saves, and managed to pick up a few coming in. I think it was just a matter of never giving up.”
As winds continued to howl Saturday afternoon at PGA National, Hanson shifted his focus to Sunday’s final round, one that he will now likely begin within reach of the leaders despite Thursday’s hiccup.
“I think in these weather conditions, if I’m within four to five shots and the wind blows tomorrow, I’ll have an outside chance,” added Hanson, who made five birdies against three bogeys in his third round. “In these conditions, you’re pretty happy when you can get a few birdie chances instead of just trying to scramble for par.”
- Garcia apologizes to Woods | Tee times
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Z. Johnson back at Colonial | Groupings | Tee times
- Colonial reax: Garcia remark | Singh, anchor
- Fantasy: BMW PGA, Crowne Plaza power rankings
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Chapman set to defend at Senior PGA | Tee times
- Fowler plans to donate $100K to tornado relief
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management