Harrington doesn't think he's a good bet this week
- By Ryan Ballengee
- Jun 27, 2012 2:15 PM ET
Consider it a combination of his current form and nationality, but oddsmakers have installed Padraig Harrington as a 10-to-1 favorite to win this week's Irish Open at Royal Portrush.
The three-time major champion does not believe that to be a good investment.
"A number of Irish players are playing very well, so I think there's a great chance of an Irish winner," Harrington said Wednesday, according to Sky Sports. "Somebody told me my odds were 10-to-1. I wouldn't even go close to backing me at that - what a ridiculous thing. The bookies are taking advantage there."
Harrington has shown flashes of his major-winning form of late, finishing T-4 at the U.S. Open and T-11 last week at the Travelers Championship.
His record at the Irish Open, however, might suggest he is a good bet on home soil. Since 1996, he has a win (2007), three runner-up finishes, including two years ago, and another trio of top-six efforts since 1996.
Tags: Padraig Harrington
Despite already having undergone laser eye surgery four separate times and having 20/20 vision, Padraig Harrington wore eyeglasses for a nine-hole practice round at the Waste Management Phoenix Open o... Read More
- LIVE STREAM: Watch Lexi, Korda in Mobile
- SCORING: Bradley leads by 1 | 61 by Nordqvist
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- G-Mac bests Colsaerts in Volvo quarters | Results
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- McIlroy leaves agent, forms firm | Timeline
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process