Players stopped officially accruing points for the U.S. Ryder Cup team on Aug. 12, when the top eight in the standings automatically qualified. At the time, Hunter Mahan, Steve Stricker, Jim Furyk and Rickie Fowler filled out Nos. 9-12 in the points standings, respectively, and it was widely believed that they’d be selected as captain’s picks by Davis Love III.
Those selections won’t be made until Sept. 4, however, which creates the potential for intrigue and volitality during the first two legs of the FedEx Cup playoffs.
If the points system had continued through today, the next four spots in the standings – Nos. 9-12 – would look slightly different. If nothing else, it may provide a barometer for which players could – or should – be selected as captain’s picks next Tuesday.
Mahan, who has only one top-10 finish on the PGA Tour since April, would remain in No. 9 spot, despite his recent poor form. Brandt Snedeker would be ranked 10th, on the strength of a breakout 2012 season in which he has won at Torrey Pines, finished second at last week’s Barclays and contended all week at the British Open, eventually finishing T-3.
Steve Stricker would rank 11th, followed by Dustin Johnson, who tied for third last week at Bethpage Black.
The full standings, if the points system continued through The Barclays:
9. Hunter Mahan (4,082.228)
10. Brandt Snedeker (4,077.707)
11. Steve Stricker (4,033.069)
12. Dustin Johnson (3,504.020)
13. Rickie Fowler (3,370.038)
14. Jim Furyk (3,369.616)
15. Bo Van Pelt (3,209.015)
16. Nick Watney (3,011.675)
17. Bill Haas (2,708.084)
18. Robert Garrigus (2,620.340)
19. Ben Curtis (2,457.284)
20. Scott Piercy (2,416.346)
Tags: Ryder Cup
- SCORING: Crowne Plaza | Sr. PGA Championship
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Molinari leads BMW | Rory, McDowell MC | Scores
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- DNA anomaly source of rib injuries for Snedeker
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' role
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Bowie Young leads LPGA in Bahamas | Scores
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots