Huh in contention after bunker lesson from Choi
- By Will Gray
- Mar 22, 2013 3:52 PM ET
John Huh fired a 3-under 69 Friday, and at 8 under the 22-year-old will begin the weekend in contention. A key to Huh’s second round was stellar play from the sand, an area of improvement that he credits to a recent lesson from K.J. Choi.
“After I took a lesson from K.J. I did really well, and I’m really pleased with my short game right now,” explained Huh, who went five-for-five on sand saves Friday. “I want to say thank you to K.J.”
Huh noted that he met with Choi following the WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship, and that their time together focused solely on bunker play.
“He came out and we worked out about four or five hours,” said Huh, who has made just two bogeys through his first 36 holes this week. “He’s the master of the bunker, so I took a really good note and good memory, and, hopefully, I can do that for the rest of the week.”
After capturing a win at the Mayakoba Classic and advancing to the Tour Championship during his rookie season last year, Huh has struggled somewhat to get out of the gates in 2013, having missed the cut in four of his last five starts. After two solid rounds at Bay Hill, he looks forward to the opportunity that awaits this weekend.
“It’s been a while for me to be in contention,” he explained. “I’d love to go out there and play well tomorrow, and Sunday as well.”
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path