South Korea's Hyo Joo Kim will try to become the first amateur in 43 years to win an LPGA event when she tees it up Sunday at the Evian Masters.
Kim, who turned 17 two weeks ago, is bidding to become just the fifth amateur to win an LPGA event, the first since JoAnne Carner won the Burdine’s Invitational in 1969. Kim is just one shot behind co-leaders Stacy Lewis and Inbee Park.
Kim’s already a sensation back in her homeland, where she won the Korean LPGA’s Lotte Mart Championship in February. In May, she became the youngest winner of a Japan LPGA event, claiming the Suntori Ladies Open.
Here’s the list of LPGA events won by amateurs:
• Polly Riley, 1950 Tampa Open.
• Pat O’Sullivan, 1951 Titleholders Championship.
• Catherine LaCoste, 1967 U.S. Women’s Open.
• JoAnne Carner, 1969 Burdine’s Invitational.
Tags: Evian Masters
American Stacy Lewis made a birdie on the last hole to share the lead with South Korea's Inbee Park after the third round of the Evian Masters on Saturday. Read More
- Kuchar leads suspended Crowne | Glance | Scores
- Molinari leads BMW | Rory, McDowell MC | Scores
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- USC women sweep team, individual titles at NCAAs
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Sr. PGA lead | Scores
- Bowie Young leads LPGA in Bahamas | Scores
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots