SUGAR GROVE, Ill. – Even with Juli Inkster struggling this season, Angela Stanford did more than lobby for U.S. Solheim Cup captain Beth Daniel to make Inkster one of her two discretionary picks.
“I told Beth, `I support you, but if Juli isn’t on this team, I’m going to hit you really hard,” Stanford cracked Wednesday. “I don’t care which direction she’s hitting the ball, I want her on our team.’”
Daniel said other players expressed similar sentiments about the 49-year-old Hall of Famer.
“When I picked her, I said, `This is a tribute to you, Juli, that these players want you on the team,’” Daniel said.
- Garcia sorry, apologizes to Woods | Scores
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Z. Johnson back at Colonial | Groupings | Tee times
- Colonial reax: Garcia remark | Singh, anchor
- Fantasy: BMW PGA, Crowne Plaza power rankings
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Chapman set to defend at Senior PGA | Tee times
- Fowler plans to donate $100K to tornado relief
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management