Irish Open heading back to Monty Course
- By Golf Channel Digital
- Dec 11, 2012 9:46 AM ET
For the first time since 2006, the Montgomerie Course at Carton House will host The Irish Open, scheduled for July 27-30 in Kildare.
Improvements were made to the resort’s O’Meara Course this year, but tournament organizers opted for the Montgomerie Course as a more “sensible option” for next year.
“We are in the very fortunate position of having two championship golf courses at Carton House,” said managing partner Conor Mallaghan, via a staff report in the Irish Times, “but with the recent construction development of the two new holes on the O’Meara, and knowing how unpredictable Irish weather can be, we have decided that the Montgomerie course is the sensible option for 2013.”
Though the Montgomerie course last hosted the event in 2006, it also successfully held the European Amateur in August.
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller: Garcia controversy will 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Donald's three-peat BMW PGA bid ends with MC
- Colonial member Palmer fires 62 | At a glance
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' role
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Anchor lawyer: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- Haas, Waldorf co-lead Senior PGA Championship
- LPGA Bahamas playing 12 holes in Round 1
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots