Irish Open heading back to Monty Course
- By Golf Channel Digital
- Dec 11, 2012 9:46 AM ET
For the first time since 2006, the Montgomerie Course at Carton House will host The Irish Open, scheduled for July 27-30 in Kildare.
Improvements were made to the resort’s O’Meara Course this year, but tournament organizers opted for the Montgomerie Course as a more “sensible option” for next year.
“We are in the very fortunate position of having two championship golf courses at Carton House,” said managing partner Conor Mallaghan, via a staff report in the Irish Times, “but with the recent construction development of the two new holes on the O’Meara, and knowing how unpredictable Irish weather can be, we have decided that the Montgomerie course is the sensible option for 2013.”
Though the Montgomerie course last hosted the event in 2006, it also successfully held the European Amateur in August.
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- Video: Rose on 'Dan Patrick Show' | Travelers
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Rose on NBC's 'Today' | Used 'force' at Merion
- Nine-year-old shoots 58 in junior tournament
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers coach Foley a true friend
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Woods' major futility | Stuck on 14 | Tracker
- Others race to try Rose's putter | What's in the bag?
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path