Masters mojo: Kaymer off to hot start in Round 1
- By Rex Hoggard
- Apr 5, 2012 1:03 PM ET
AUGUSTA, Ga. – A year ago, much was made of Martin Kaymer’s experiment to alter his signature fade and add a high draw to his repertoire for the singular purpose of playing Augusta National.
Kaymer, who began the week last year ranked second in the World Golf Ranking, missed the cut with rounds of 78-72, his fourth consecutive missed cut at the Masters.
This year, however, the German is taking a less-is-more approach and it appears to be paying off. According to his manager Johan Elliot Kaymer arrived at Augusta National on Friday afternoon, played nine-hole practice rounds on Saturday, Sunday and Monday and didn’t play at all on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Through 14 holes holes Kaymer is 1 under par and tied for fourth place.
The man who saved Tiger Woods from disqualification at the Masters? It was reportedly Champions Tour player David Eger. Read More
- Garcia apologizes to Woods | Tee times
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Z. Johnson back at Colonial | Groupings | Tee times
- Colonial reax: Garcia remark | Singh, anchor
- Fantasy: BMW PGA, Crowne Plaza power rankings
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Chapman set to defend at Senior PGA | Tee times
- Fowler plans to donate $100K to tornado relief
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management