Double duty: Kerr learns from caddie stint with Pavin
- By Randall Mell
- Nov 15, 2012 6:45 PM ET
NAPLES, Fla. – Cristie Kerr’s game is better for having learned the rigors of a caddie’s life.
Kerr, who got herself in early contention to win back-to-back events with a 5-under-par 67 Thursday at the CME Group Titleholders, toted the bag for Corey Pavin two weeks ago at the end of the Charles Schwab Cup Championship on the Champions Tour.
Kerr and husband Erik Stevens have a place near the Desert Mountain Club in Scottsdale, Ariz. With Pavin staying with them as a house guest that week, Kerr’s familiarity with the course led to caddie duties. Kerr picked up Pavin’s bag for fun over the final four holes of the third round. Pavin birdied three of them.
“I didn’t really appreciate what caddies go through,” Kerr said. “I got a new perspective with that, and I think it gave me a little more patience with myself.”
Kerr credited her caddie, Worth Blackwelder, for her run of strong play winning the Lorena Ochoa Invitational last week and getting off to a fast start at TwinEagles Club.
“For me, the key is staying relaxed and finding a groove with Worth,” Kerr said. “We work really well together, and he’s a real positive guy for me. He always keeps me calm and motivated and doesn’t allow me to get down on myself. You can’t underestimate that.”
Cristie Kerr made a short par putt on the second hole of a sudden-death playoff with Suzann Pettersen on Sunday to win the Kingsmill Championship for the third time. Read More
Corey Pavin birdied his first six holes and finished with a 5-under 67 to join Bernhard Langer, Roger Chapman and Joe Daley atop the leaderboard on Saturday after the second round of the Champions Tou... Read More
- Garcia sorry, apologizes to Woods | Scores
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Z. Johnson back at Colonial | Groupings | Tee times
- Colonial reax: Garcia remark | Singh, anchor
- Fantasy: BMW PGA, Crowne Plaza power rankings
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Chapman set to defend at Senior PGA | Tee times
- Fowler plans to donate $100K to tornado relief
- McIlroy denies G-Mac rift, mum on management