Kerr-O'Toole, Wie-Pressel are possible U.S. pairings
- By Randall Mell
- Sep 21, 2011 9:07 AM ET
DUNSANY, Ireland – Is Cristie Kerr getting ready to team with Ryann O’Toole?
Are Michelle Wie and Morgan Pressel preparing as a duo?
Will Paula Creamer and Juli Inkster unite for a fourth consecutive Solheim Cup?
In practice rounds Wednesday at cold and blustery Killeen Castle, speculation built over which American pairings will be announced Thursday at the opening ceremonies. The matches begin Friday (2:30 a.m.- 1 p.m. on Golf Channel) with morning foursomes (alternate shot).
Kerr played a nine-hole practice round with O’Toole (pictured above) and Angela Stanford and Brittany Lang on Wednesday. With O’Toole struggling to find the form that gained her a captain’s pick, Kerr has stepped into a mentoring role. She has spent a lot of time with O’Toole this week and also last week at the Navistar LPGA Classic, where they both missed the cut. O’Toole credits Kerr with planting the seed that led to her making a run at the Solheim Cup team.
Wie and Pressel were considered edgy rivals in their junior days, but they’ve become friends. They played practice rounds together on both Tuesday and Wednesday. They teamed to earn a half point in four-balls at Rich Harvest Farms two years ago.
Creamer and Inkster formed a strong bond on the first three American teams Creamer played on, teaming to go 3-2-1. They’re 3-1 in foursomes. They’ll likely play together again, but Inkster isn’t expected to play in as many matches as she has in her previous eight Solheim Cups.
Cristie Kerr made a short par putt on the second hole of a sudden-death playoff with Suzann Pettersen on Sunday to win the Kingsmill Championship for the third time. Read More
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- Johnson storms to first LPGA victory | Scores
- Karlsson puts yips behind, qualifies for British Open
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- Thanks, Jack: Guan accepts Memorial invite
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Stay stable in high winds like Bae