Leadbetter: Wie's performance remains a 'mystery'
- By Will Gray
- Oct 19, 2012 10:53 AM ET
In an interview this morning with Golf Channel's "Morning Drive," long-time swing coach David Leadbetter shared some insight on the issues that may be plaguing one of his most famous pupils, Michelle Wie.
"She's a little bit of a mystery the last year or so," explained Leadbetter, who has worked with Wie for several years. "I think she's just now come to terms with the fact that she's playing golf full time."
The 23-year-old Wie has struggled this season, recording only one top-10 finish in 19 starts while missing the cut 10 times. Her 73.86 scoring average for 2012 ranks her 110th on the LPGA, and she is currently outside the top 100 in greens in regulation (125th), putts per GIR (135th) and driving accuracy (144th). Wie has broken 70 only six times in 51 competitive rounds this year.
"She just hasn't played well the last 18 months," Leadbetter continued. "We all expected her to take the tour by the scruff of the neck."
While the future remains bright for the recent Stanford graduate, Leadbetter indicates that the keys to her success moving forward are likely internal.
"She still has a lot of time ahead of her. I think a lot of it depends on what she wants," he noted. "Any future success that she will have in her career depends on her ability to believe in herself and her desire to succeed at the highest levels of the game of golf."
- LIVE STREAM: Watch Lexi, Korda in Mobile
- SCORING: Bradley holding lead | Mobile Bay LPGA
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Singh among Byron Nelson MDF casualties
- G-Mac bests Colsaerts in Volvo quarters | Results
- Colsaerts' drive results in bathroom drop | Video
- McIlroy leaves agent, forms firm | Timeline
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- Howell hoping for U.S. Open berth via OWGR
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process