Stacy Lewis fired a 7-under-par 65 on Saturday at the Navistar LPGA Classic, moving into the lead and closing in on an "Alabama Slam."
Lewis, already a winner in the state this year at the Mobile Bay LPGA Classic, carded seven birdies against no bogeys in her third round. She leads by two strokes over Angela Stanford entering Sunday's final round.
Currently leading the Rolex Player of the Year standings, Lewis will look to increase her lead over Jiyai Shin, who is not in the field this week but has closed the gap on Lewis considerably with wins in each of the past two LPGA events.
Lexi Thompson, who led after 36 holes, faltered Saturday with a 2-over-par 74. After making only one bogey across her first 36 holes, Thompson carded two bogeys and a double bogey against only two birdies Saturday and will enter the final round tied for sixth, five shots behind Lewis. Thompson, defending champion this week in Prattville, finished runner-up to Lewis earlier this year in Mobile, her best result to date on the 2012 LPGA season.
Stacy Lewis is No. 3 in the world – and No. 1 in Alabama. Lewis shot a 7-under 65 on Saturday to take a two-stroke lead over Angela Stanford in the Navistar LPGA Classic, while second-round leader Le... Read More
Defending champion Lexi Thompson shot a 3-under 69 on Friday to take a one-stroke lead into weekend play in the Navistar LPGA Classic. Read More
- Video: Rose on 'Dan Patrick Show' | Travelers
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Rose on NBC's 'Today' | Used 'force' at Merion
- Nine-year-old shoots 58 in junior tournament
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers coach Foley a true friend
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Woods' major futility | Stuck on 14 | Tracker
- Others race to try Rose's putter | What's in the bag?
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path