Lewis thanks Tseng in POY acceptance speech
- By Randall Mell
- Nov 17, 2012 11:47 AM ET
NAPLES, Fla. – Stacy Lewis didn’t just thank her family, coaches, caddie and managers for helping her win the LPGA’s Player of the Year award during Friday’s Rolex Awards Celebration.
She also thanked world No. 1 Yani Tseng.
“I’ve learned a lot from Yani,” Lewis said. “How to win, how to be successful. When we get in contention, we want to beat each other but we also want the other person to win if we can’t.”
Lewis was paired with Tseng in the final round when Lewis won the Mizuno Classic in Japan two weeks ago to all but clinch Player of the Year.
“When we walked to the 18th tee in Japan, I had just made two birdies in a row and Yani said, `One more, you got this, one more.' It is just really cool to have that special relationship,” Lewis said.
Lewis did birdie the 18th at Mizuno for her fourth LPGA title this season. Tseng is No. 1 in the Rolex world rankings, Lewis No. 2.
A year ago, Lewis helped Tseng with her acceptance speech as the Rolex Player of the Year. Tseng was in the audience Friday night to hear Lewis’ acceptance speech.
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Johnson edges Korda, Phatlum in Mobile | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play