Lewis thanks Tseng in POY acceptance speech
- By Randall Mell
- Nov 17, 2012 11:47 AM ET
NAPLES, Fla. – Stacy Lewis didn’t just thank her family, coaches, caddie and managers for helping her win the LPGA’s Player of the Year award during Friday’s Rolex Awards Celebration.
She also thanked world No. 1 Yani Tseng.
“I’ve learned a lot from Yani,” Lewis said. “How to win, how to be successful. When we get in contention, we want to beat each other but we also want the other person to win if we can’t.”
Lewis was paired with Tseng in the final round when Lewis won the Mizuno Classic in Japan two weeks ago to all but clinch Player of the Year.
“When we walked to the 18th tee in Japan, I had just made two birdies in a row and Yani said, `One more, you got this, one more.' It is just really cool to have that special relationship,” Lewis said.
Lewis did birdie the 18th at Mizuno for her fourth LPGA title this season. Tseng is No. 1 in the Rolex world rankings, Lewis No. 2.
A year ago, Lewis helped Tseng with her acceptance speech as the Rolex Player of the Year. Tseng was in the audience Friday night to hear Lewis’ acceptance speech.
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Crowne Plaza | Senior PGA
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia: Remark 'stupid'; apologizes to Woods
- Sergio 'fried chicken' jab | Tiger: 'Hurtful'
- Mell: Disagree with anchor ban, but pure intent
- Sergio sponsor TMaG: Comment 'offensive'
- Colonial reax: Garcia remark | Singh, anchor
- Lewis in rainy Bahamas | Under water | Tee times
- U.S. Open champ respectfully disagrees with USGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Fowler plans to donate $100K to tornado relief
- Instruction: Tips to strike your putts more solidly