Love to receive USGA's Bob Jones Award
- By Golf Channel Digital
- Dec 5, 2012 12:57 PM ET
Davis Love III on Wednesday was named the recipient of the 2013 Bob Jones Award, presented annually by the U.S. Golf Association to an individual who demonstrates spirit, personal character and respect during his career.
Love, 48, will receive the USGA’s highest honor during the association’s annual meeting, to be held on Feb. 2, 2013, in San Diego.
“Throughout his impressive career, Davis has distinguished himself with his sense of fair play, integrity and reverence for the game’s traditions,” said USGA president Glen D. Nager in a statement. “His passion for the game, as well as the values and principles that guide his everyday life, are emblematic of the characteristics that the Bob Jones Award seeks to identify. Golf and all those who play it are inspired by Davis' example.”
“Davis epitomizes everything that Bob Jones stood for with his character, integrity, displays of sportsmanship and his spirit of giving back,” said Tour commissioner Tim Finchem in a statement. “He truly understands what it means to be a role model and has been a great ambassador for the PGA Tour and the sport of golf, both on and off the field of competition. He is a worthy addition to the list of distinguished winners of the USGA’s Bob Jones Award.”
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- Kuchar holds Crowne lead | At a glance | Scores
- Westy in position for first BMW PGA win | Scores
- Putter aid gets Overton DQ'd | Clark in mix
- You Oughta Know: Kuchar seeks personal best
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Perry takes Senior PGA lead into Day 4 | Scores
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Moreno leads by one in Bahamas LPGA | Scores
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots