ST. SIMONS ISLAND, Ga. – Earlier this month when U.S. Presidents Cup captain Fred Couples was announcing his assistant captains for next year’s matches he was asked if he considered Davis Love III for one of the spots.
“I texted him this morning, hoping he would give me a response, and he didn't, because he was someone that maybe would want to be an assistant,” Couples said on Oct. 3. “But he wants to make the team just like everyone else.”
On Thursday at Ryder Cup captain set the record straight. “Oh, right. Sure,” Love smiled, holding up his cell phone. “If you’d like to review them and see who was last (to text).”the U.S.
Given Couples’ infamous lack of electronic communication skills, GTC is going to side with Love in this “he said/he said” debate, but maybe it’s best if Couples didn’t sign Love up to be an assistant given his friend’s play since last month’s Ryder Cup.
The week after America’s loss at Medinah, Love posted a “rusty’ tie for 66th in Las Vegas, then tied for 35th last week at the Frys.com Open. On Thursday at Sea Island Resort, however, he sprinted out to an opening-nine 30 on his way to a 5-under 65 that left him tied for second place.
“The way I’m hitting it the last three weeks I’m having fun and I want to try to play (on the U.S. Presidents Cup team),” Love said. “(Zach Johnson) asked if I was over the Ryder Cup yet and I said, ‘No, I don’t think I’ll ever get over it.’ It was so much fun to be part of that team. I’d love to be a part of that again, whether it’s to play or drive a golf cart or help out Freddie. I want to do whatever I can.”
It was a clear statement to Couples; just don’t expect him to respond to it anytime soon.
Staked to a big lead heading into singles, the U.S. turned in a dominating performance at the Palmer Cup, winning 20.5-9.5. Read More
- Tiger out of AT&T with elbow injury | Timeline
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights Travelers | Groups | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Grill Room: Seinfeld tells golf jokes on 'Late Night'
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions Rory in Belfast speech
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path