Suzann Pettersen, Paula Creamer and Anna Nordqvist headline the field at this week's HSBC LPGA Brasil Cup, an unofficial event in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
The 36-hole event will be played Saturday and Sunday with 30 players competing for a $720,000 purse with a $108,000 first-place check at Itanhanga Golf Club.
LPGA pros who want to play when golf becomes a part of the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro in 2016 are getting a flavor of the host country this week.
“The Olympics are one of the greatest things that sports has,” Creamer said Friday in a news conference. “I love watching people represent their country, and the fact that golf is now a part of that is very special and very motivating. Hopefully in 2016, I’ll be back here.”
Karen Stupples, Christina Kim, Jeong Jang, Brittany Lang, Ryann O’Toole and Julieta Granada also are scheduled to play.
The LPGA returns to official play at the Sybase Match Play Championship May 17-20.
Cristie Kerr made a short par putt on the second hole of a sudden-death playoff with Suzann Pettersen on Sunday to win the Kingsmill Championship for the third time. Read More
- SCORING: Nelson Day 3 | Volvo: G-Mac in semis
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- Palmer, Nicklaus release statements on Venturi
- Bradley keeps Nelson lead | Rd. 2 at a glance
- Korda leads Mobile Bay through 36 | Scores
- McIlroy leaves agent, forms firm | Timeline
- Only one Irish team to compete at World Cup
- USGA to announce anchoring news Tuesday
- Guan shoots 70-77, misses first PGA Tour cut
- Video: Man drains amazing office putt down stairs
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Improve your thought process