ATLANTA – Some final-round 66s are better than others.
Mahan got off to a scorching start this season, winning the WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship in March and the Shell Houston Open less than a month later. But after that he struggled, posting just a single top-10 finish and he was passed over for a pick by U.S. Ryder Cup captain Davis Love III.
His 2-under total at East Lake will likely be a gratifying top 10, but not as gratifying as a much-anticipated hiatus. Mahan, who has missed just one event since the British Open in July, plans to play next month’s Turkish Airlines World Golf Final, an eight-man unofficial event, and the Tiger Woods World Challenge in late November.
“There are things that I need to get ready for next year and work on the game and try to figure out what’s the best way to attack the year and get the most out of it,” Mahan said.
In between those sparse starts, Mahan plans to vacation in Italy with his wife the week after the Turkish Airlines event, attend a few Oklahoma State football games and relax.
“Not worry about anything,” he smiled on his way out of East Lake.
- Woods pulls out of AT&T with strained elbow
- Woods, McIlroy to play in Dubai Jan. 2014
- Rose highlights major champ group | Tee times
- Fantasy: Travelers Championship rankings, picks
- Rose media tour | 'Top 10' | 'Today' | 'Dan Patrick'
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Li, 10, in Publinx match play | Nine-year-old's 58
- Nike signs No. 1 am | Deere invite for Spieth
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers coach Foley a friend
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path