“I thought [the drive] was OK, but it rolled right into a cactus, so I took a putter and sort of backhanded it out of the cactus,” Mahan explained. “Then I hit a hybrid into a bunker and holed the bunker shot – and it was a hard bunker shot. I couldn’t have hit it any better. It hit the pin and went in. I worked hard for that.”
Afterward, he pondered where it ranked amongst the best birdies of his career.
“It’s pretty high up there, just for the up and down,” he said. “My percentage went from low to lower to lower, but that’s golf. It’s just an example of one shot changing everything.”
Tags: Hunter Mahan
- Video: Rose on 'Dan Patrick Show' | Travelers
- Punch Shot: Will Mickelson ever win an Open?
- Rose on NBC's 'Today' | Used 'force' at Merion
- Nine-year-old shoots 58 in junior tournament
- Obama mentions McIlroy during Belfast speech
- Notes: Rose considers coach Foley a true friend
- Rose wins first major | Tops Phil | Scores
- Stock watch: Buying the champ, selling runner-up
- Woods' major futility | Stuck on 14 | Tracker
- Others race to try Rose's putter | What's in the bag?
- Mickelson criticizes No. 3; USGA responds
- Weekly Fix: Finding the right tempo and path