“I thought [the drive] was OK, but it rolled right into a cactus, so I took a putter and sort of backhanded it out of the cactus,” Mahan explained. “Then I hit a hybrid into a bunker and holed the bunker shot – and it was a hard bunker shot. I couldn’t have hit it any better. It hit the pin and went in. I worked hard for that.”
Afterward, he pondered where it ranked amongst the best birdies of his career.
“It’s pretty high up there, just for the up and down,” he said. “My percentage went from low to lower to lower, but that’s golf. It’s just an example of one shot changing everything.”
Tags: Hunter Mahan
- LPGA SCORING: Johnson wins first LPGA title
- McDowell wins Volvo World Match Play | Results
- Bae wins Byron Nelson | At a glance | Scores
- Venturi dies at 82 | Twitter reaction | Photos
- What We Learned: McDowell proves matchless
- Arnie, Jack recall Venturi | Nelson connection
- Week in review: Top Photos, Quotes of the Week
- McDowell: McIlroy, Horizon split 'fairly amicable'
- Cancer can't keep Auburn women out of NCAAs
- Uihlein gets first win at Madeira Islands | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Instruction: Don't let anxiety ruin your bunker play