Mayakoba event: November date, full FedEx points
- By Golf Channel Digital
- Nov 26, 2012 4:20 PM ET
The PGA Tour’s only event in Mexico is moving from February to November as it joins the Fall Series.
Previously held as the event opposite the WGC-Accenture Match Play, the newly named OHL Classic at Mayakoba is now slated for Nov. 14-17, 2013, according to a Tour release.
Tournament officials also announced that there will be an increase in total purse, to $6 million, with a winner’s check of more than $1 million. Because of the new date toward the start of the Tour’s new wraparound schedule, the Mayakoba event also will distribute the full allotment of FedEx Cup points, with 500 points going to the winner. Previously, the winner had been awarded 250 points.
“The OHL Classic at Mayakoba has been a favorite tournament of many PGA Tour players the past six years,” said Andy Pazder, chief of operations for the PGA Tour, in a statement. “In this new unencumbered date near the start of the season, all Tour players will now have the opportunity to experience the world-class Mayakoba Resort and its challenging El Camaleon championship course. We are grateful for OHL’s partnership and look forward to the continued growth in stature of the OHL Classic at Mayakoba.”
Contributions from writers and editors on the Golf Channel Digital team.
- LIVE STREAM: Crowne Plaza Invitational, Rd. 3
- SCORING: BMW PGA | Colonial | Senior PGA | LPGA
- Westy in position for first BMW PGA Champ. win
- Monty: All afraid to talk | Zoeller: Will 'blow over'
- Euro chief: 'Colored' friends | Unfortunate
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Colonial's Rd. 2 concludes with Kuchar on top
- Scott joins legal coalition against anchor ban
- Mickelson, Stricker not among Memorial field
- Friends Cochran, Perry share Senior PGA lead
- Pettersen trails Bowie Young at Bahamas LPGA
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots