McIlroy shoots 79 en route to MC at Wentworth
- By Ryan Ballengee
- May 25, 2012 1:33 PM ET
World No. 1 Rory McIlroy has missed the cut in consecutive events for the first time since 2010.
After a second round of 7-over 79, McIlroy will not play the weekend at the BMW PGA Championship.
McIlroy, who two weeks ago missed the cut at The Players Championship, played the first seven holes in 1 under before a six-hole stretch which began with a double bogey at the par-4 eighth. He bogeyed the next five holes in a row to move to 6 over on the round. In all, he made seven bogeys and two double bogeys.
''I might have taken my eye off the ball a little bit,'' McIlroy said. ''Maybe just haven't practiced as hard as I might have been.
''It's a week I'd like to forget.''
The European Tour's flagship event is the third tournament in which McIlroy has missed the cut multiple times. The Players and the Dubai Desert Classic are the other two.
The Ulsterman last missed consecutive cuts in 2010, when he was cut at Houston and the Masters in back-to-back weeks.
- Euro chief: Sergio has several 'colored' friends
- Garcia calls O'Grady's remarks 'unfortunate'
- Zoeller expects Garcia controversy to 'blow over'
- Sergio's 'chicken' jab | Apology | Tiger: Hurtful
- Palmer answers challenge | At a glance | Scores
- Stars stumble in BMW PGA | 41 by Rory | Scores
- Grill Room: Trevino regrets 'Happy Gilmore' cameo
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Anchor lawyer: Hope for best, prepare for worst
- Haas, Waldorf co-lead Sr. PGA Champ. | Scores
- LPGA Bahamas going 12 holes in Rd. 1 | Tee times
- Tip of the Week: Stop scooping your chip shots