McIlroy, McDowell enter U.S. Open
- By Ryan Ballengee , 19th Hole Team , Ajga Staff , Andrea Doddato , Andrew Both , , Associated Press , Bailey Mosier , Big Break , Blair O'Neal, Winner of Big Break Dominican Republic , Brad Brewer , Brandel Chamblee , Brandon Tucker , Brendan Havens, Big Break Producer , Brian Koressel , Carl Whyte , Charlie Rymer , Chris Anderson , Chris Graham, Big Break Producer , David Byrne , David Feherty , Doug Ferguson , Eagles for Education , Erik Peterson , Forum Visitors , Gary Williams , Global Golf Post , Golf Channel Public Relations , Golf Fitness Magazine , Golf Channel Digital , Golfwrx , Hank Haney , Hayden Echols , Human Energy , Jason Deegan , Jason Sobel , Jay Coffin , Jerry Foltz , John Feinstein , John Hawkins , John Lepak , Jon Levy , Jon Painter, Big Break Producer , Justin Payne , Katherine Roberts , Kelly Blackburn , Kelly Miller , Kelly Tilghman , Kent Eger , Kraig Kann , Larry Olmstead , Lauren Thompson , Mark Nessmith , Martin Davis , Martin Hall , Mercer Baggs , Michael Breed , Mike Bailey , Mike Ritz , Morning Drive Team , Nike Golf , On The Range Team , Oren Geri , Piri Borja , Randall Mell , Rex Hoggard , Rich Lerner , Richard Currey , Robbie Biershenk , Robert Floyd , Russell Normandin , Ryan Ballengee , Scott Walker , Steve Burkowski , Steve Sands , Suzanne Haney , TJ Hubbard, Big Break Producer , Golf Guy , Todd Lewis , Tom Abbott , Travel Articles , Travelgolf.Com , Trent Wearner , Whit Watson , Will Gray , Will Lowery , Win McMurry
- Mar 28, 2012 8:28 PM ET
The last two U.S. Open champions and their most likely American pursuers have all submitted paperwork to the U.S. Golf Association to compete at the Olympic Club in June.
The USGA said Wednesday that defending champion Rory McIlroy and 2010 winner Graeme McDowell have filed to play in San Francisco. McDowell was entrant No. 3,112, while McIlroy was next.
Three weeks ago, three-time champion Tiger Woods was entrant No. 550. The day prior, Phil Mickelson was 130th to file. Mickelson holds the dubious distinction of placing runner-up the most times in National Open history - doing so on five occasions.
NBC Sports golf analyst Gary Koch also filed an entry to qualify for the Open.
The U.S. Open will be played June 14-17.
- USGA, R&A ban anchored stroke | Explanation
- Infographic: What's legal, illegal | Timeline
- Steele: Expect a player to sue USGA, R&A
- Statements: PGA Tour, PGAA | LPGA | USGA
- Manufacturer: 'Golf lost today' | Time to adapt
- Tiger: Clear air? 'No' | Sergio: 'Not afraid'
- Guan WDs from Open qualifying | Playing Memorial
- Euro captain McGinley adds third Ryder Cup pick
- Lefty to play Memphis for 1st time since '09
- G-Mac wins Match Play | OWGR No. 7 | Scores
- Open qualifying: Men's local | Women's sectional
- Weekly Fix: Exposing a great golf instruction myth